ABCO Marine Ltd were contracted by J.N. Bentley, as specialist marine contractor for Gouthwaite Marine Geotechnical Investigation project in Gouthwaite IRE Reservoir.
The geotechnical investigation is to aid in and inform the design of a siphon pipe to enable water level management of the reservoir. The works were intended to provide information in respect of the ground conditions along the alignment of the proposed siphon pipe.
The main works of the contract will consist of;
- 3 No. cable percussive boreholes, with Rotary Cored follow-on boreholes.
- Multibeam Hydrographic Survey.
- Plus associated field and laboratory testing and the provision of a factual report.
- Mobilisation of all marine plant and equipment in line with project specific traffic management plan, with access route having weight restrictions. ABCO selected all marine equipment in line with site access restrictions.
- Modular Barge with 15m long spud legs mobilised to site to provide suitable platform to complete all site drill activities. Barge constructed with moonpool to support drill activities, with all samples recovered to shore.
- ABCO prepared and managed all crane lift activities, with Crane Lift Plans prepared by our CPCS Crane Appointed Persons. With careful consideration to the size restrictions of the mobile crane utilised along with temporary works crane pad construction to support lift operations.
- Multibeam Survey, with full survey area accessed to ahigh standard. Survey lines adjacent to the embankment and dam, with all planned to run in order to obtain 10% - 15% overlap.
- Sub-bottom profiling, obtained from 51 number sub-bottom profiler lines acquired across the site, resulting in cumulative total of 4.60km of acquired data.
- Multibeam and Sub-bottom Survey Field Report including survey data drawings, full site record report along with documented assessment of the obtained results.